About Us

Woodthorpe Model Railway Club was founded in 1958. The original club met at the Sherwood Scout Hut on Mansfield Road, in the district of the city called Sherwood.

With an original membership of just 5, the chairman was Mr. Ron Harris and the local area provided the majority of it’s membership.

A lack of space for both layouts and members meant them leaving their original Club House in 1963 and going on to set up in The Methodist Church Hall in Arnold, Nottingham. where they stayed for the next 9 years.

The club then moved again to it’s current home at The Sherwood Community Centre, which is a much larger Multi Purpose building used by a number of  Societies and Interest Groups. This building is ideally situated and very well equipped to host Shows and Exhibitions and also benefits from it’s own on-site catering facilities, car parking and very good public transport links.

 

A brief history of the Club

1956-61  •  Club formed by Ron Harris and situated in the Scout Hut on Mansfield Road Nottingham – Start Up Membership of 13


1961-66  •  Club moves to the Methodists Church Hall in Arnold – Membership standing at a healthy 19


1966-69  •  This years AGM sees Ron Burchall voted in as Club Chairman – Membership standing at a healthy 27

 


1961-66  •  Club moves to the Methodists Church Hall in Arnold – Membership standing at a healthy 29


1961-66  •  Club moves to the Methodists Church Hall in Arnold – Membership standing at a healthy 29


1961-66  •  Club moves to the Methodists Church Hall in Arnold – Membership standing at a healthy 29


1961-66  •  Club moves to the Methodists Church Hall in Arnold – Membership standing at a healthy 29


1961-66  •  Club moves to the Methodists Church Hall in Arnold – Membership standing at a healthy 29


 

13,673 Replies to “About Us”


    Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 134217728 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 13107957 bytes) in /var/sites/t/thewmrc.co.uk/public_html/wp-includes/class-walker-comment.php on line 200